Friday 1 March 2013

Groups

I have become so immersed in H817 that I have hardly had time to think about my blog. I seem to be engaging much more with this course than the previous H800, even though I engaged pretty well with that!

I have been involved in a couple of group tasks over weeks 3 and 4. In the first task I was split into a group of 5, which I very much enjoyed as we all worked well together and had productive Elluminate sessions. This group task focused on learning theories, our group was tasked with investigating Behaviourism. I seems that behaviourism gets a bit of a bum rap these days in light of newer trends in learning and being more social and participative. It was good however to dig in a bit deeper and examine what was probably at one time the only theory for 'classic' teaching. I did however have the image of Jason Bourne stuck in my head along with an American drawl saying...
'b e h a v i o u r  m o d i f i c a t i o n'.

This weeks group task has been quite full on. The whole group has had to work together this time to produce a report that chooses and recommends a particular learning technology. Maybe playing it a bit safe, I put forward ePortfolios, however the group chose screencasting for feedback. I gathered together a bunch of references from the OU library for people to use. We are now at the end of the week and others are knocking the final report into shape before we present it.

Overall it has been an interesting and fun experience, it's probably been the first time I have worked collaboratively online with such a large group, the tutor seems to be happy with the work that has been produced (so far). A few of the group members have echoed my sentiments also - you don't have to contribute to everything, as long as you contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment