Monday 27 May 2013

Activity 12 - searching for ideas


For this activity, we were asked to search academic literature for case studies and frameworks that could help the team in making decisions about the project as well as providing ideas.

One of my favourite things about being part of the OU is having access to the library - I could quite happily spend hours inside the database looking for articles and journals, and that's pretty much what I did, unfortunately I wasted a bit of time as a result of this.

First thing I came across was an article by Wills et al (2009) on an eLearning framework for assessment (FREMA). Niall Sclater was also invloved in this article - I make no secret that I am a fan of Niall, besides the fact he is a fellow Scotsman, his work with TEL in Scotland at Strathclyde Uni and now with the OU is fascinating. I was going to propose this as a framework for the project, but decided against it as I thought the paper was quite dense and may be not be that easy to digest at this stage. Apart from bearing relation to our project, what also interested me about this paper was that I am convinced that block 3 that we are currently undertaking, is based on this paper as there is talk of personas and actors etc.

I came across another few interesting papers:
  • Shared video media and blogging online: Educational technologies for enhancing formative e-assessment. (2011)
  • Factors affecting the adoption of an e-assessment system. (2010)
  • A Framework for Evaluating the Quality of Multimedia Learning Resources. (2007)
I however decided to go with: Assessment is for Learning: supporting feedback. (2012)
For me, this paper directly relates to what we are doing on our project - it is about assessing multimedia artefacts on designed based courses, I was reading the article and thinking to myself... 'our answer lies here!' I added the paper to the case study STARR document on the website.

This paper utilises a framework developed by Goldsmiths called e-scape that was slightly adapted for the project. I had a search around but could not find anything on e-scape Scotland, so I got to wondering if the project was superseded by the Glow project - the new eLearning platform for schools in Scotland, I'll need to investigate more.

When I am looking for academic related stuff, I tend not to go anywhere near Google - maybe scholar on occasions. I had a quick Google for 'assessing multimedia artefacts' and came across a slideshare from the OU from Denise Whitelock that mentions H817 and the e-scape project as well!!

It's a small world.

-----------------------
Leacock, T, & Nesbit, J 2007, 'A Framework for Evaluating the Quality of Multimedia Learning Resources', Educational Technology & Society, 10, 2, pp. 44-59, ERIC, EBSCOhost, viewed 27 May 2013.

McCann, AL 2010, 'Factors Affecting the Adoption of an E-Assessment System', Assessment & Evaluation In Higher Education, 35, 7, pp. 799-818, ERIC, EBSCOhost, viewed 27 May 2013. 

McLaren, SV 2012, 'Assessment Is for Learning: Supporting Feedback', International Journal Of Technology And Design Education, 22, 2, pp. 227-245, ERIC, EBSCOhost, viewed 27 May 2013.

Olofsson, A, Lindberg, J, & Stodberg, U 2011, 'Shared Video Media and Blogging Online: Educational Technologies for Enhancing Formative E-Assessment?', Campus-Wide Information Systems, 28, 1, pp. 41-55, ERIC, EBSCOhost, viewed 27 May 2013.

Whitelock, D. (2012) Understanding Current Practice Around the Assessment of Multimedia Artefacts. [Online] http://www.slideshare.net/DeniseW/understanding-current-practice-around-the-assessment-of-multimedia-artefacts (Accessed 27 May 2013). 

Wills, G, Bailey, C, Davis, H, Gilbert, L, Howard, Y, Jeyes, S, Millard, D, Price, J, Sclater, N, Sherratt, R, Tulloch, I, & Young, R 2009, 'An E-Learning Framework for Assessment (FREMA)', Assessment & Evaluation In Higher Education, 34, 3, pp. 273-292, ERIC, EBSCOhost, viewed 27 May 2013.






No comments:

Post a Comment